Wednesday, October 28, 2009

testing time...

Well, I made it through the toughest part of the nutrition cleanse...breaking habits, clean eating, and lots of broth. Now, it's time to partake in nutritional experiments for my own body...the purpose of this whole thing!

Thanks to 4 days of clean eating and 3 days of homemade veggie broths (and a vitamin/mineral supplement for calories and protein), my body is at a very alkaline state. A state that can be very telling as I reintroduce foods in my diet. For the next 8-10 days I will be alternating between a day of clean eating, followed by a "test day". During the test day, I will be eating clean, but be adding in my test food throughout the day. Today I started the testing series with Soy. Soy is in the super highly beneficial category when it comes to energy and my blood type (A), and it's also something I hardly ever eat. I wanted to know if soy is something that I should add to my food regimen. The results were: soy milk, edemame, baked tofu, all good. Felt great, energy-wise (good considering being sick with a cold right now:(). Miso on the other hand did not treat me well; tired, upset stomach, no good. It was very interesting being able to really feel what's going on in my body, mind, spirits in regards to the instant effects of food.

I think the following are the remainder test foods: wheat (gluten), cottage cheese, oatmeal/oatbran, yogurt/kefir. Wheat/gluten is always something good to know...the other three foods are things I eat on a regular basis, and will most likely continue to...so again, good information to know.

More to come on my food revelations... I'll definitely keep you updated on my findings!

Heather- I am using almond milk every day...usually almond butter too...I always think of you!

1 comment:

HEAB said...

I'm so interested in this kind of stuff Jillian. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad you're feeling good and full of energy (despite the cold), but I'm sad miso didn't set to well with you. One of my favorites...oh well, your daily almond milk and almond butter make up for it. I hope the oatmeal/oat bran test goes okay!